An introduction to On-Page Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
On-page SEO refers to any technique that you perform on your web page (on-page) to make the web page rank well in search engines. In this post I explore the various parts of a web page where you can stick your keyword. Please use your keywords naturally when needed. Do not over use them and do not let the keywords drive your content.
I assume that you have already done some basic keyword research and have already picked the keywords you want to use.
- You can put your keyword in the page title. The page title text will appear on the top of your browser window.
- You can put your keyword in the Meta Description tag of the page.
- You can also make the keyword available in the Meta Keywords tag.
- You can use the keyword in your web page file name and style sheet files (CSS).
- Make sure to use the keyword in your header (h1,h2 etc) tags.
- As you start writing your first paragraph, mention your keyword. Putting the keyword in the top part of the page grabs the attention of the search engines.
- Use the keyword in the middle of the body text. Bold the keyword. Italicize the keyword. Underline the keyword.
- Use the keyword in internal links as anchor text.
- Use keyword in image file names and the ALT text.
- Use the keyword in the last paragraph.
Do not over use the keyword unnecessarily. You are writing for humans and not for search engine robots.